Mission, Vision & Core Values
The Mission of the Hayward Area Recreation and Park District is to enrich the quality of life for our community by providing a variety of recreation activities, parks, and facilities that promote health and wellness, learning, and fun.
In order to continue to serve our community and be recognized as a quality recreation and park district we must:
- Establish a prudent reserve
- Improve ADA accessibility
- Match our programs and facilities to the needs of our diverse community
- Distinguish HARD as a major partner with other agencies and organizations for recreation, park and open space needs
- Enhance our work environment
- Evaluate and leverage emerging opportunities, while maintaining our existing facilities and infrastructure
- Update the district’s strategic plan annually
- Actively market and promote our District
- Achieve greater environmental sustainability (greening)
- Renovate at least one community park
When making policy-level decisions if the answer to the following questions is “yes”, then that direction embraces the District’s Core Values:
- Does it provide cost-appropriate programs to our wide service area?
- Does it build on and leverage our network of partners?
- Does it reflect our commitment to meeting the diverse needs of those we serve?
- Will it support high quality customer service?
- Does it clearly protect and enhance our investments in facilities and other assets?
- Does it support those that make it happen every day – our employees?
- Will it support best workplace practices?
- Does it support our ability to govern as a Board team with honesty, openness and respect?
- Will it support our commitment to public learning?
- Does it support a sustainable environment?
- Is it cost-efficient?